Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hairy Situation

My Dad has always been jealous of my hair.
He's probably laughing while reading this. But it's true. He has always commented on how I had my Great-Grandfathers hair, dark, wavy, and incredibly thick. He's also always mentioned that my Great Granddad also died with a full head of hair, which might seem inconsequential to some people. People who have a full head of hair.

Laugh it up, fuzzball.
 Now my Dad's not spear bald. He's thinning on top. He wears it well. I think it gives him an air of wisdom and experience. But I'm sure it has not escaped him that my hair hasn't even hinted at starting to thin out. He's also brought up on more than one occasion that I seem to be mocking him with my hair. You see, I wear my hair in a Mohawk, where as he's thinning on top. He's joked a few times that I cut it that way just to prove I have hair where he doesn't. 
Well, at least I think he was joking.


My hair has been a center of focus since my high school days, when I used to wear it in gigantic conical liberty spikes.  I had it pretty well down to a science, making sure all the spikes were set at certain angles and whipping it up with a cocktail of hairgel (for hardness) and hairspray (for hold). It was a lot of fun, but extremely high maintenance. In my college days I opted for a more permanent, less maintenance hairstyle and lost the sides. The result was a Cliff Burton / Mike Patton style long Mohawk that I usually wore down and as long as I could grow it. It was extremely handy for my metal band Empyrean, and I had a good time whipping it around, wetting it down with water and soaking the front row, doing windmills, and occasionally getting it caught in guitar tuning knobs or swallowing it and having to pull it out of my throat while singing.

Epic. Metal. Hair.

It's a common side effect of chemotherapy to experience hair loss  and well, today was the day Dad got his head shaved. He would probably never admit it but I know he's been dreading it. So today I leveled the playing field for him and did the deed. 




My magical metal mohawk of mayhem is going in the mail and headed to Locks For Love, so it can be sewn into a wig for children undergoing chemotherapy treatments just like my Dad. I hope he can take comfort in the fact that some kids day just got a little bit more comfortable, and it's all because of him. 




If you would like to donate hair to Locks of Love, you can follow this link for instructions and to find out more about what they do: http://www.locksoflove.org/donate.html

-TFTC

1 comment:

  1. Adam, you're so great! I love reading your blogs, you take the dark and bring it light, thank you. (And i am a victim of the wet hair slinging)

    ReplyDelete