Monday, January 14, 2013

A New Hope

2013 has started with a bang.

   I know, I know- it's mid January already and most people have probably given up on their new years resolutions already. I'm a little late to the game here, but in the world of retail the new year doesn't really start until February so from my perspective  I'm actually ahead of schedule. 2012 held a lot of heartbreak for me, but it seems that through weathering that storm I have come out in a better place. The shining moments between adversities have been my stepping stones to growing into a better person and a path to a better life.


   2012 started with my fathers heartbreaking cancer diagnosis, a moment in my life where I truly believe I hit bottom. Things weren't really going great for me before that, but this was a whole new level of low point for me. How ironic then that in the same week a wonderful woman gave me the strength to carry on, disguised as a couple of visa gift cards and guy in a stormtrooper costume. I probably didn't know it at the time, but that gift would come to shape my life in a whole new direction that has proven as arduous as it is rewarding. That woman saved my life that day. It's probably a big part of the reason I asked her to marry me.


For the rest of 2012 I labored on the construction of a new identity. Through the formation of this blog, the assemblage of  my armor, and the resurrection of my altruistic inner child, I have joined a legion of amazing men and woman dedicated to helping others, having fun, and being unspeakably evil in the best way possible. I never though I would be moved- almost- to tears by the sight of a stormtrooper waving a flag bearing an imperial cog, or shaking the hand of a small child, or standing outside the door of a hospital pediatric ward. I never though something as silly as Star Wars could really make a difference in the world. But I've learned- I've learned it's the little things- I've learned that it's not the uniform that you wear. It's the uniform that wears you. It's the power of anonymous kindness. It's the indiscriminate giving. It's the thought- whether you like Star Wars or not, whether you like sci-fi or not- it's the idea that there is a mobilized standing army of 9,000 nerds who took something "silly" and turned it into something incredible.

 
It doesn't matter how you do it. It doesn't matter where you are from. Make Hope your mission. Make kindness your weapon. And may the Force be with you.

2014 Mission Objectives:

-Troop 25 events or more
-Raise $10,000 for the American Cancer Society
-Run/walk 100 miles for a cause
-Troop with every Florida Garrison Squad
-Inspire and recruit a Trooper

TK-66613- Troop For The Cure


Follow me on Facebook:
 Facebook.com/troopforthecure


Donate to help my mission:
 Freewebstore.org/troop-for-the-cure

No comments:

Post a Comment